Thursday, March 1, 2012

Sports Fans

The sports world has kindly evaded me most of my life.  However, now that I have a young boy, I am experiencing the maternal thrill of watching my child throw himself completely into a game.  I am now admittedly loving the soccer mom experience.

Enter...sports.
Home and work...


My daughter, Sidney, helps me on a regular basis.  She too, was never concerned with team athletics.  But, this month, our creative days have found themselves wrapped around the basketball industry.  The research before a project has always been almost as fun as the project itself.  We now know that "Celtics" is pronounced with a soft 'C', that the NBA's quarters are 12 minutes long and that Magic Johnson and Larry Bird are the same height.


This room was envisioned by a 13-year old with a love of the "old-school" players.  There were not the appropriate "Fat Heads" to stick on the wall, so I was hired to apply them...with paint.  Oh, the wonders of paint.

The room has little tiny basketball hoops on each side that get used daily.  When the request was made to have the players around one of the hoops, my response was, "Sure."  But, upon drawing Michael Jordan, Sidney and I quickly realized that the ball was not going to go into that net. Therefore, we expanded the visual size of the board and net so Mr. Jordan could now sink that ball.


The mural then expanded to include a crowd scene.


and then...

...a valance was created to complete the room.  Here, I learned quarter times and that when a green light is on under the "POSS" it is letting me know who has the ball. :)

Oh, but wait...the bathroom!  I suggested adding the signatures of the players in here.  The idea continued to expand from there and the idea was presented to make the whole room into a basketball looking like the signatures were signed on it.  A shower curtain was sewn and I painted it to complete the look.  Sidney was the "forging queen" for this part of the project.  What did I learn in this room?  Sidney used to forge my signature often in high school....  apparently, the practice paid off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment