Monday, December 27, 2010

"If you're a wisher, a dreamer, a magic bean buyer...Come in!"

---Shel Silverstein


There is something magical about doing children's rooms that brings me to my full imagination where any type of fiction is capable of being lived.  The Scapes of Fairy Princesses, Thumbellinas, Knights and Dragons, Cowboys and Open Wilderness all become my own little storybook as I create them.



Some murals are triggered from places and experiences of my own life, while others are from wonderful worlds experienced through beautifully crafted tales of talented authors.



Murals are never just pictures.  They are fed by words and visions of experiences, both by way of life and of literature.  What the brain has gazed upon and grazed upon seems to find its way out onto the walls... recreated.


Though clients may come to me with ideas and direction, it seems as what they are doing is stirring the pool; tapping the well-spring.



The parents who have the ability to give this bit of visual luxury to their children, seem to also want to feed their own children's imaginations and in a sense begin the stirring of the well-spring for them.  It is similar to exposing them to the imaginitave world of literature.  Nothing is dictating the image but the conjuring of words and experience.  The ideas that are presented to me had already begun a life of their own because the children had previously experienced something that created the desire for another place...a familiar place...in their minds.


I love my job.  While I can leave a mark on some growing minds, I get to participate in the beginning of exploration -- the search for life. 



...and I get to relive it myself.



Imagination takes us everywhere when we let it.



"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one." -- John Lennon

No comments:

Post a Comment